The topics that would be covered are as follows:
1. What is a feature
2. The difference between a news-report and a feature: pyramid vs inverted pyramid; the difference between a feature and creative writing.
3. The role and importance of a feature
4. The various components of a feature:
a) Content, language and structure
b) Style, tone and voice
c) Adapting to the style sheet of the publication you are contributing to
d) The art of using quotes
e) Facts versus interpretation
f) Direct versus indirect speech
g) The importance of outlining a skeleton plan.
5. The different kinds of features: celeb profiles, in depth analysis of a subject, opinion piece, news feature etc.
6. The art of conducting an interview
7. Common grammatical considerations
8. How to write a letter to the editor
9. Feature-writing exercises
10. Tips on how to evolve as a feature writer
Kalyani Sardesai is a Pune-based freelance journalist and copywriter. With over fifteen years experience in assorted media, she has worked for National dailies like The Indian Express, DNA and the Times of India, and is currently writingfor the business magazine Corporate Citizen, and the website Pinksworth.com. She also ghost-writes a column for her golden retriever Lassie in Pune's newly launched petzine: "Tell Tail."
As a reporter, she worked on a gamut of beats including: education, real estate, lifestyle and celeb features, entertainment, books, theatre and the working of the family court.
In her stint as a copywriter, she has worked on several branding assignments for corporates and hospitality services, short film scripts, real estate brochures, slogans and music videos.
Her academic qualifications list a gold medal in the Bachelors of Communication and Journalism exam from the Department of Communication and Journalism, University of Pune, followed by an MA in English Literature from Nowrosjee Wadia College (in which she topped her college.) She also has a PG Diploma in Advertising from the Institute of Communication Management, Bangalore, besides a diploma in Public Speaking from the Institute of Public Speaking, Pune, and another BA degree with Eco Honours.
She is currently working on her first book, apart from teaching creative and feature writing.