| Foundation Course on Studio Lighting & Product Photography |
Mentor: Prashant Desai
Duration: 4 Days
In this hands-on workshop students will learn the basic principles of studio lighting by creating photographs. It will cover studio lights, setup, metering, color temperature/white balance, lighting ratios, light modifiers. We will set up and demonstrate some basic studio photography lighting setups with time for everyone to shoot in the studio.
Students should expect to leave with a concrete understanding of the core principles used in studio lighting.
- Learn different types of lighting for portraits and products.
- How to photograph different types of products that present lighting problems for photographers:
- reflective objects
- translucent objects/glassware
- objects with textured surfaces
- Basic techniques and principles that allow you to control the shadows, reflections, sense of the light’s direction.
- How to take catalog photographs.
Prof. Prashant Desai graduated from the Film & television Institute of India (FTII), Pune in Cinema with specialization in Cinematography in 1982. Since then he has worked in the industry in various capacities in Cinematography, screenplay writing, Production and Direction. He has taught at FTII, Pune and NID, Ahmedabad. He was the HOD (Film & Video) at MIT Institute of Design, Pune and Xavier Institute of Communication, Mumbai. He teaches at SNDT, Mumbai, regularly since 1996. He has also taught at FLAME and MRID (Maharaja Ranjit Singh Gaekwad Institute of Design, Baroda).
His Photography & Filmmaking workshops are highly appreciated by the participants. He is also a partner at Living Bridge.
- Physics of Light:- Electromagnetic Spectrum, Visible Spectrum
- Sources of Light:- Natural/Artificial, Light sources/Fixtures
- Color Temperature
- Measurement Of Light:- Foot Candles
- Exposure Meter
- Inverse Square Law
- Quality of Light:- Diffused, Specular
- Three point Lighting Pattern and the Reasons for it.
- Placement, Angle
- Modification of Lights
- A word about Shadows
- Difference between Day and Night
- Different types of Portrait Lighting/ Object
- Product Lighting
- Characteristics of Objects:- Shapes/Types of Surfaces/Orientation
- A word on Backgrounds
For the final assignment/ practice students are required to bring objects to class on the last day of the workshop. Each student will get dedicated time in the studio to practice and complete their assignment.
Certificates will be awarded at the end of the workshop.
10 - 18 August
10:00am to 05:00pm
Early Bird Offer: Rs.6550/-
(Offer Valid till 31st July)
Total Seats: 12