- Discussing documentary filmmaking. comparing it with fiction filmmaking and news reports (similarities and differences).
- How to get ideas for documentaries?
- Developing the idea into a treatment
- How to research?
- Moving on from research to outline
- Shooting script-Editing script and narrations
- Episodic structure for the documentary series
- Pitching the treatments
- Film Analysis: Throughout the workshop we will be watching, analyzing, and learning from documentaries like “5 broken cameras“, “Sicko“, “Man on wire“, “The last dance” and more. A significant portion of the sessions will be dedicated to this.
- Personal Project: After the first day onwards, you will be expected to start work on your personal project.
- Watching a short documentary in the class and discussing the Idea and how to personalize it
- Discussing project ideas in class with mentor (each participant will be asked to come at least with 3 ideas)
- Discussing & locking the ideas for a documentary in the class.
- Start working on treatment.
- Discussing the research process of projects
- Important note: There will be homework after almost every session. All the film viewing and work on your personal projects will have to be done as homework. So when you register please account for the time commitment beyond the hours of the sessions.
This is a live workshop, it is not recorded.