Week 1: Fundamentals of Story and Playwriting
- What is drama – Identifying intention and obstacle
- 3 layers of drama- philosophy/themes, story, plot
- Setting a plot line
- Discussion: Who is your favourite fictional character? What makes them memorable?
- HW: Read Aristotle’s poetics, Identify elements of story
- How character choices and conflicts embody the themes of a story
- Motives and contradictions
- World building: Using dialogue, setting, backgrounds, accents and props to design characters
- Character archetypes – Jungian model – Hero and anti hero
- HW: Read two plays – identify protagonist motives and contradicitons
- Identify how characters served the plot of the plays which class has read
- How to plot a story – follow the ‘show don’t tell’ style for scenes
- The Three act structure – Restrictions on stage
- Traditional vs non-traditional storytelling
- Setting a mood
- HW: Identify the mood, narrative style and structure of the plays read earlier
Week 2: Writing a Play
- Come up with ideas for a 10-minute play of your own
- Discussing ideas – setting plot – characters -motives and setting
- Writing a two page pitch note – detailing story, plot, world, characters, structure, mood
- How to structure questions for feedback on stories – how to sieve through negative criticism
- Revise, share, and discuss pitch notes
- Structuring your pitch story into the play format
- Exploring linear and non-linear styles, foreshadowing devises and call-back tools
- Finish the first draft and group review – each person will react to another’s work
Takeaway from the workshop: Learn the fundamentals of a story, Understand the technicals of playwriting, Write an original 10 minute short play.
Maria Teresa Marques
Living Bridge, The Learning Platform
At 1PM Lisbon local time, three days a week, for two weeks, from 26 July to 6 August, it was time for advancing knowledge, discussion of ideas, fun, and hard work yes, (during and between sessions).
For me the important moment came with Sneh Sapru’s “THE BIG AND BRILLIANT CIRCUS”.
I can say, and there is no doubt in my mind about it, that this was the best workshop that I have attended so far.